Does your dog favor tricks or treats? What if it was possible to have both this Halloween season? Along with our blogger friends we’re offering trick tutorials (Ours is how to train your dog to clean up their toys. About time!) and a fantastic giveaway with a grand prize of a $350 Petco gift card and an assortment of various toys and treats. Visit each blog to learn all the tricks and for the most chances to win.
Train Your Dog to Clean Up Their Toys
So in order to train this trick, your dog should already know how to “fetch” and preferably “drop it”.
- Set them up for success: You want a box that’s low enough that the dog can comfortably see over it and wide enough to accommodate their head and several toys. It’s easier if you practice with the same toy and keep the box in the same location at first.
- Build value around the box: If your dog already knows how to retrieve to hand, you can just put your hand over the box so the dog will drop the toy into the box and gradually move it away as they become more accustomed to dropping it in the box. Otherwise you can hold the toy directly over the box and then after your dog takes it, ask for a “drop it.” In both cases reward liberally and don’t worry if the toy doesn’t land precisely in the box to begin with. Remember to reward your dog at the “source” i.e. at the box.
- Building distance: Once your dog is accustomed to dropping the toy in the box with reasonable fluency (say at least eight out of ten tries or so), you can start building distance. If you have a velcro dog like Mr. N, it’s easier to have them move away to get the toy and come back to you and the toy box than the other way around. So put the toy about a feet or so away from the box and ask them to pick it up and direct them towards the box. Pointing helps. Remember to keep rewarding them at the box after they’ve dropped it.
- Building fluency: Once they’ve gotten the hang of distance, you can mix in different toys and start pairing the action with a cue word like “clean up” or “put it away.”
- Success: Congratulations! Now you have a dog that can clean up their toys. It’s a popular party trick and people ask you to teach their dogs and their children!
Now reward yourself with some nice wine/beer/chocolate/your vice of choice and reward your dog by entering our fantastic Halloween giveaway! We’ve teamed up with our blogger friends are also offering trick tutorials for the holiday as well as
$350 Gift Card to Petco
**PAID FOR BY ALL PARTICIPATING BLOGGERS**
This giveaway is NOT affiliated with Petco.
Assorted KONG Dog Toys
$150 VALUE – SPONSORED BY KONG
$100 in Wellness Pet Food Dog Treats
$100 VALUE – SPONSORED BY WELLNESS PET FOOD
2 Bags of Each Spike Dog Treat Recipe
(8 Bags Total)
$98 VALUE – SPONSORED BY PETCUREAN
All Meat Bites, Jerky Bites, Chicken Chips,
Jerky Strips, All Meat Crispies, and Jerky Wraps
(1 Bag Each)
$78 VALUE – SPONSORED BY ONLY NATURAL PET
6 Month Subscription to DOGTV Online
I and Love and You Fresh All Rover Dental Chews
$66 VALUE – SPONSORED BY DOGTV
Four Flavors of Soft n’ Tasty Baked Bites,
One Grass Fed Beef Bone Broth,
and One Free Range Chicken Bone Broth
$60 VALUE – SPONSORED BY CARU PET FOOD
1 Small Bag of 1mg Pumpkin Chews
and 1 Large Bag of 4mg Pumpkin Chews
$56 VALUE – SPONSORED BY TREATIBLES
Cha Cha Chicken, Bodacious Beef, and Peanutty Perfection
(24 oz Bags – 3 Total)
$56 VALUE – SPONSORED BY NOAH’S BARK DOG TREATS
Qwizl Treat Toy and Rowdies Toy
$56 VALUE – SPONSORED BY WEST PAW
Mutt Hatter Plush Toy Collection
$48 VALUE – SPONSORED BY P.L.A.Y.
PLUS follow ALL bloggers on
Facebook & Instagram for a chance to win
one of 13 SPECIAL SOCIAL MEDIA PRIZES!
A new giveaway will be posted each day on either
Facebook or Instagram and will run for 24 hours.
Each giveaway will be posted on the co-hosts’
social media pages along with a select group of bloggers.
You can enter on each participating blog’s account for MORE entries!
You have to enter each day for a chance to win that day’s prize.
WHERE TO ENTER:
Learn to Jump Through a Hula Hoop
by Kol’s Notes
Learn to Spin
by Beagles & Bargains
Learn to Come
by A Dog Walks into a Bar
Learn to Hug
by Boogie the Pug
Learn to Wear a Hat
Learn to Hold a Long Down-Stay
by Dog Mom Days
Learn to Play Hide & Seek
by Fidose of Reality
Learn to Show Your Belly
by It’s Dog or Nothing
Learn to Jump Through Hula Hoop Hands
by Maggie Loves Orbit
Learn to Back Up
by McSquare Doodles
Learn to Take a Bow
by My GBGV Life
Learn to Do An Obstacle Course
by My Rescued Life
Learn to Say Your Prayers
by Oh My Dog Blog
Learn to Clean Up Your Toys
by Tenacious Little Terrier
Learn to Leg Weave
by The Broke Dog
Learn to Balance Items on Your Dog’s Head
by The Chesnut Mutts
Learn to Crawl
by Wag ‘n Woof Pets
Learn to Wave
by Wear Wag Repeat
Visit each blog for more chances to win!