If you ask Mr. N, he’s practically perfect in every way. The real test is what would Santa say? Is he on the naughty or nice list this year?
- Car: He’s still unhappy about riding in his PupSaver when I’m not sitting next to him. So if I’m in the passenger seat and he’s in the back, he whines and whimpers. For long car rides, I sit with him in the back but we’re going to have to work on riding quietly in the car some more.
- Leash Reactivity: His leash reactivity has improved a lot but there’s room for more progress. He can control himself when dogs are across the street but we’re working on being able to pass dogs on the same sidewalk. He can occasionally do it if the dogs are very quiet/non-threatening/have their back to him etc.
- Separation Anxiety: He’s been upgraded to full access of the house (vs being confined to one room). Mr. N is barking less when I leave although he still likes to tell me very loudly how much he suffered while I was gone when I get home. He ate a sausage stick as I was about to walk out the door which is major progress for him as he doesn’t like to eat when I’m gone/when he thinks I’m leaving.
- Food: His food manners are impeccable as always. I really need to get around to teaching him that hot dog retrieve.
- Bringing Joy: Visiting many public events and making people want a dog like him. One could argue that it’s not necessarily a good thing because Mr. Ns are not suited for most homes.
- Good Vet Report: His vet visit this year went swimmingly although I think part of it had to do with it taking place outdoors. They had dogs with kennel cough come in so we all camped outside and sat with Mr. N who perceived it as a petting opportunity. Note to self: try to do vet visits outdoors in the future! Vet is in favor of the idea.
- Settling: He is getting much better at settling although he likes to make his opinion known by sighing loudly before he takes a nap.
- Visiting Santa: He did bark at people while he was sitting on Santa’s lap. He was posing for a shot and a group of kids ran over to him with their dad and started grabbing at him. Who doesn’t know that time with Santa is sacred? You’re either telling him what you want for Christmas or posing for a holiday memory shot. He thought it was extremely rude and I can’t say that I blame him!
How was your dog naughty and nice this year?
Welcome to First Monday’s Positive Pet Training Blog Hop hosted by Tenacious Little Terrier, Travels with Barley and Wag ‘n Woof Pets. Please share your responsible pet owner positive pet training tips by linking a blog post or leaving a comment below. Our theme for this month is your dog’s naughty and nice behaviors but any positive reinforcement training posts or comments are also always welcome. The Positive Pet Training Blog Hop goes all week long. And our next hop will begin January 8th and continues for a week.