Mr. N has had pet insurance since we adopted him. It was a condition of his adoption actually. The thing to remember about pet insurance is you have it for your peace of mind and not because you expect to recoup the money you spent. If Mr. N needs to have a costly surgery or has an emergency, the bulk of the cost will be covered. If you break even, your pet has most likely had a lot of medical emergencies. Healthy pet makes for a happy life right?
No pet insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions so you want to buy insurance before something happens.
|This post was sponsored by Figo Insurance. They are not responsible for the contents of this article. All opinions expressed are our own.|
We’re comparison shopping for a new insurance plan and this is why Figo Pet Insurance, a new competitor in the market is worth considering for us:
- They cover veterinary exam fees for treatments. Our current plan does not and it is a consideration sometimes when we’re debating if we should wait and see or take him in if it’s not an emergency.
- Accessible customer service. You can tweet, text or chat. I like when companies have a chat feature so I can multi-task while chatting and not have to wait on hold.
- The claims process. You can file a claim from your phone, track the process and be paid electronically too. Right now, we have to have the vet’s office fax the forms and it’s not the most convenient.
- Flexibility in plans. There’s only one plan option with our current company.
- Copay and deductible waived for emergency life-saving treatment. Mr. N has never had a true emergency while we’ve had him (knocks on wood) but in the case that we did, it’s nice to know that there would be fewer costs to pay.
- Holistic and alternative therapies are covered. We recently switched to a veterinary practice that does alternative and regular medicine so an insurance that covers both would be a plus. The company we are with does cover them but you have to purchase an additional rider.
- The cloud. Like most Millennials, I prefer doing everything online when possible. With Figo, you can manage documents electronically, share your pet’s records with anyone and get shots and medical reminders as well.
|Practicing kawaii faces.|
I plugged in Mr. N’s stats into the online calculator and it is slightly more expensive (an additional six dollars/month) than our current plan. Figo does cover exam fees though so the end cost may be similar. I have some more questions to ask (like 24/7 customer service availability) and I need to sit down and run some figures but Figo is definitely on our short-list for consideration.
Do you have pet insurance? Which factors do you consider when choosing a plan?