ACVO National Service Animal Eye Exam

This year Mr. N participated in the ACVO National Service Animal Eye Exam. The event provides a free screening-wellness eye exam to Service Animals including those provide the following services: guide, hearing assistance, drug detection, police/military, search and rescue, therapy, and those assisting people with disabilities other than blindness. Registration begins in April and the examinations take place in May.

I’d like to thank the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists for hosting the event, VCA Northwest Veterinary Specialists for examining Mr. N and Stokes Pharmacy and the other sponsors. Having good eyesight is essential for his therapy dog responsibilities.

It was a really quick visit. I filled out a form and presented our paperwork and we were in and out in about ten minutes. The vet came in and waved his hands in front of Mr. N’s eyes, then shone a light into them and examined them through a scope. Mr. N’s eyes were declared normal.

Mr. N hates going to the vet but he is very stoic and tolerant of everything they do to him there. He was obviously miffed at me for making him endure said torment. I tried to take this photo of him in front of the building afterwards and he refused to cooperate unlike his normal photo loving self.

The American Veterinary Dental College offers free oral health exams for service dogs but they’re not offering it this year.

Comments

comments

May 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Haha…great photo – he's so mad at you. Great event though – having had a blind dog, I know the importance of keeping an eye on their vision and addressing any issues early on.

May 15, 2015 1:53 pm

That picture is fantastic. I didn't know Mr. N was capable of giving such attitude! Glad to hear that the eye exam went well.

• Beth

May 16, 2015 3:36 am

The more I learn about Mr. N, the more convinced I become that he and Barley are cut from the same cloth! She's such a diva and her eyebrows just make those expressions even more apparent.

May 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Glad to hear your eyes are good, almost as important as a good nose! Your hair in your pic is funny today, gave me a chuckle.

4. K9s OverCoffee

May 16, 2015 6:46 pm

I've heard of the free eye exams in May for service pups & think it's wonderful to be this supportive to those K9s helping us humans out!
    –> I hadn't seen this pouty side of Mr. N yet 😉

5. Dash Kitten

December 7, 2016 11:32 pm

OH Mr N sat there with a lofty look on his face. 'I can cope' I am a brave dog.

He makes me smile!

I am glad his eyesight is OK. It should be part of any and every dog's health regime.

6. Denise Gruzensky

December 8, 2016 12:33 am

Glad Mr. N's vision is good. We are concerned about Shasta's. How can I find out if there is and event coming to our area? Since Shasta is a therapy dog we could get his eyes checked.

December 8, 2016 2:06 am

It's a national event. Registration for free screening eye exams for Service Animals opens every April 1st, closing on the 30th; exams are held in May. Check the website for more info. There's also a map so you can see if there's one by you.