Preparing for a Road Trip with a Dog
For my birthday, we’re heading to Bend this weekend. We booked a dog-friendly room, Mr. N is freshly groomed and I’ve told him he needs to comport himself like a gentleman while we’re there.
He really needs his own suitcase at this point. I feel like he has almost as much stuff as I do. I typically bring:
- Food and lots of treats and a chew. I usually bring freeze-dried food because Mr. N refuses to eat kibble and dehydrated food, it takes him days to finish a can of food and raw is inconvenient unless you have a fridge. I’ve read about bringing your local water but so far Mr. N has been fine without it.
- Vaccination records. I keep his rabies and license tag on my key chain.
- Medications and supplements.
- His water bowl and a collapsible bowl for food.
- Grooming supplies. A brush, wipes, water-less shampoo, and an old towel. I bring his toothbrush and toothpaste on longer trips.
- His mat and some favorite toys.
- An extra leash/harness and a rain coat and fleeces. If we’re going hiking, I normally pack two because inevitably one will get wet or dirty and he’ll need to change. Just like traveling with a toddler!
- I might bring a clicker and his odor kit so we can get some practice in.
Is there anything I’m missing? Any recommendations for things to do there?