Dog Safety Class for Kids

A friend of a friend contacted me about having Mr. N be the “demo dog” for a dog safety class for kids. She belongs to a homeschooling group and one of the kids was bitten by a dog at a Superbowl party. She had a lesson planned which included dog body language, how to approach a dog and rules for interacting with dogs but wanted a real dog to practice with.

The request was for a cute, calm and happy dog to receive petting from toddlers (five of them!). Calmness is not Mr. N’s strongest trait but I thought we could probably manufacture calmness for a short period of time.

A bigger dog would probably be a better fit for toddlers normally (due to being sturdier and less likely to get injured) but if you’re looking for a non-scary dog, Mr. N fits the bill. He is probably the least intimidating looking dog ever.

So we went over and the kids practiced gentle petting and giving treats nicely. Mr. N also showed off some tricks including dance which was very popular and was requested again.

He was a little bit wary (we normally don’t work with kids this young) and I don’t blame him. Toddlers are loud and unpredictable and rambunctious. But he was happy to take treats from the kids and eat the treats I gave him for keeping still while the kids experimented with petting .

I was very proud of him especially because the environment was so distracting. There was another dog (in another room but we could hear banging and barking) and a cat in the house as well as the five kids. Mr. N’s attitude was pretty much, “we interrupted my walk for this?” But he was a good boy and I hope the little boy is a little bit more comfortable around dogs.

How is your dog with kids?

Comments

comments

1. To Dog With Love

February 6, 2015 2:25 pm

Aww, great job Mr. N! Rocco's good with kids too. I do watch the kids closely, though, because I don't want them yanking on his fur… which is all too tempting. I want to keep the experience positive for Rocco so that he continues to be calm around kids. Rocco also LOVES to perform his tricks for them!

February 6, 2015 2:38 pm

Good boy Mr. N. I'm afraid Jack wouldn't be too good around kids – he's a big guy (80lbs) and doesn't really have good boundaries, I'd be afraid he'd step on someone!

3. Dolly theDoxie

February 6, 2015 3:55 pm

What an important lesson Mr T thanks so much for helping the boy, you don't want him to grow up with a fear of dogs. I hope the parents learned some safety lessons too. Love Dolly

February 6, 2015 5:02 pm

Mr. N is such a good boy! Barley would not have been a good dog for that demo (unless they wanted an up close demonstration of dog body language to avoid). When toddlers start moving in their funny little ways, her herding instincts kick in and she wants to put a stop to movement by any creature except for herself 🙂

5. K9s OverCoffee

February 6, 2015 6:26 pm

Nice job, Mr. N! Our girl Missy is super gentle with kids of all ages, while her brother Buzz tends to be a lot more rambunctious. Isn't it funny how dogs are different?

February 6, 2015 10:49 pm

Oh, what a great thing to do! Maybe starting out with a smaller dog was the best thing for the little boy who got bit. Our girls love kids, but Luke is afraid of them. I think it's their unpredictability that freaks him out. They're still one minute, and off the next….he doesn't know what to make of that.

February 6, 2015 11:58 pm

Mr. N had a leg fracture after his first family's kids stepped on him (twice). Miraculously, he still likes kids though! He prefers the older ones (six and up?) but can deal with the younger ones under supervised and controlled circumstances.

7. Kamira Gayle

April 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Kudos to you Mr. N for surviving the class with flying colors. I’m sure being around kids was a bit unnerving. You make it look effortless though. Handsome as always!

April 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I am glad that it went well for Mr. N and the kids! The reason I have had dogs all of my life is because my oldest sister was bitten by a dog. My parents got a dog so she wouldn’t be afraid of dogs for the rest of her life. (I am sorry she was bitten, but I am glad I grew up with dogs.) Nelly and Sophie are good with people of all ages, but Theo is very wary of strangers. Although I think he likes kids, that situation would be too stressful for him.