Hiking Wahcella Falls

Wahcella Falls holds the distinction of being one of the most scenic and muddiest hikes we’ve done lately. It was the kind of mud that squelches and we had to wrench our feet away from the mud because they would sink otherwise.
Sage loves mud and was probably overjoyed that she was actually being asked to walk in it. Oddly enough, we have no photos of her in the mud. Mr. N was not so thrilled. He very gingerly picked his way through. I’m kind of surprised he didn’t get stuck.
When we weren’t looking down at the ground to make sure we didn’t get stuck in the mud, we were gazing around us and appreciating the beauty of nature. And the water, water everywhere.
The hike is about  two miles and not strenuous at all. And the waterfall view compensates for any falls in the mud you may have. I didn’t fall this time (last time, I was trying to take a photo and leaned back too much) but Mr. N got stuck in my camera strap and did a roll in the mud once he was untangled.

Mr. N appreciates nature too but more in terms of all the smells it offers. And for “wildlife” photos.

All four of us had a fair amount of mud on us after the hike. Sage had the most of course. What is the dirtiest you’ve been after a hike? Or your dogs?

Comments

comments

January 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Oh, Mom would not like the mud thing. She doesn't like getting dirty and she knows Bailie and I would be mud balls and need serious baths afterward. Good for you enduring the dirt for a pretty place! Thanks for joining the hop!

January 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Wow, that's some good mud. Jack can get pretty dirty after it rains here – but the dirtiest we get is when we go to the beach. There is always the requisite roll in the sand.

3. Sage

January 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Yes, that was pretty 'sucky' mud! Good thing we could access the river and clean our feet off before going home! Of course, I had to have a bath–Mom said I was stinky.

January 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Barley's like Mr. N and doesn't love getting dirty (maybe because she knows it means a bath when we get home), so she does her best to avoid it and keep her whites white. We've been on a couple walks, though, where we sunk pretty deep and I've had mud splashed all the way up to the backs of my knees–poor jeans! I'm glad you had such great views for such a dirty walk 🙂

5. 2browndawgs

February 1, 2015 12:46 pm

Sometimes mud is as hard to walk on as ice, it can bee so slippery and suck your boots in. 🙂 Glad you were able to stop and enjoy the scenery and take some pics.

6. JoeHx

March 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Niko and Princess are indifferent about mud. Although Niko, being an off-white cockapoo, will quickly show any dirt and mud on his coat. It’s funny and cute.

March 18, 2018 10:02 am

Sounds like you had another great hike. The dogs I have now, don’t like mud, especially Nelly. But some of other dogs I’ve had just loved it! They would have rolled in it (unless it was really cold) and had the best time. Of course, I’m the type of person who slips and falls, so I would probably be just as muddy as the dogs. (Only not happy about it.)

8. Kamira

March 18, 2018 12:17 pm

I’ve only been hiking once or twice and don’t remember getting too dirty (thank goodness). I love a waterfall in nature. Now that Spring is on the way, I hope to make more outdoor trips. Glad you didn’t fall on your hike this time around. (whew) Nice photos.

9. irenemchugh

March 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Mr. N is quite the trooper! I’m not sure that I could get Bernie and Lizzie to hike in mud. It doesn’t really rain here often enough for me to test their interest level. Now dirt is no problem for them. They’ll run around the dog park like the crazy pantsers that they are!