Shaping and Clicker Training with a Box

October’s  Positive Pet Training Blog Hop theme (co-hosted with Cascadian Nomads and Dachshund Nola) is Positive Training Fun with a Box! 101 things to do with a box is a clicker and shaping game where you treat the dog for any interactions with the box and shape it into a useful (or not so useful) trick.
Mr. N says hello and welcome to the world of shaping with a box. He likes to sit on boxes and pose probably because I reward heavily for jumping up on things and posing so I can take photos.
I did some free shaping with him to see what what kind of behaviors he would naturally offer. We’ve been doing some conditioning exercises with his K9 Fitbone lately and so that’s what he tried out on the box. He put his back paws on the box.

And stood on the box. It’s much more impressive when the surface area is wobbly!

I’ve also been working on pivoting (his front legs remain stationary on the platform but his hind legs move in a circle around the platform) with him so that’s what he offered most of the time.

What kind of tricks does your pet do with a box?

Comments

comments

1. Cascadian Nomads Bethany

October 6, 2014 10:09 am

Mr. N looks very proud of himself indeed. Paws up is definitely Brychwyn and Wilhelm's most offered box behavior but Huxley loves nosing (herding) things so he shoves the box around the room. He also might be trying to get the box to give him a treat since he has played a lot of scent work box games!

October 6, 2014 10:31 am

I like to put my cat bro Bert in boxes and try to ship him off to another home, but usually I get caught. I have sat in boxes myself too. Being almost 40 lbs, I need a strong box to be "on" one. Looks like you have a lot of fun there with your new tricks.

3. Kelsie Merwine

October 6, 2014 3:32 pm

I love clicker shaping! Pyrs really don't care for it, but it's such fun to do with other dogs. If I put a box near the fluffies, they would probably just shred it 😉

October 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Great job, Mr. N! I'm finally starting to understand what the shaping is all about. I wasn't quite ready for this hop, but Luke has been coming along well. Or should I say I have been coming along? LOL

5. MattieDog

February 4, 2016 3:04 pm

The beautiful thing that always come through is the clear connection that you have with Mr. N. This is very important and reflects trust. I think this builds with spending time with your animal, training, not just cuddling, to create a world of safety!

6. Cathy Armato

February 4, 2016 6:00 pm

That is quite impressive! I can only get my dogs to jump on and off things. It's not easy to get them to just do "paws up" on something and certainly not pivot around an object! Mr. N. is so talented.
    Love & Biscuits,