Visiting Gearhart Beach

Portland was under a heat advisory so we jumped in the car and headed for the coast. We ended up at the beach at Gearhart. It’s not as popular as the more touristy towns so it was relatively uncrowded. You can drive your car up this particular beach past a certain point so we went the opposite way because we didn’t want the dogs getting accidentally run over. Mr. N is sand colored….

The dogs adore the beach because it means they get to run and run and there’s all sorts of interesting things for them to investigate. Like the dead bird Mr. N found and that Sage tried to roll on.

And sticks. Sage found a long one and was carrying it around in her mouth. I was a little worried that Mr. N might get poked in the eye accidentally with it because it was so long and he was running around trying to steal it from her. This is before he found his own stick.

We ran into a few other dogs on the way and the dogs said hello.

But mostly, they just like to run with each other. I think part of the reason why Mr. N adores Sage so much is because she is almost always up for a good game of chase.

Or at least Sage thinks it’s a game. Mr. N takes it rather seriously.

The first time Mr. N went to the beach, he drank some salt water and was sick. I don’t know if he remembers being sick or he remembers us sternly admonishing him not to drink salt water on that trip but he doesn’t do it anymore. Now I make sure he gets regular water breaks so he’s not tempted.

We made a stop in Astoria on our way back and played tourist. More to come on Monday.

Comments

comments

1. To Dog With Love

July 18, 2014 1:43 pm

What an awesome beach and photos! Rocco and Mr. N have so much in common! Rocco is sand colored also, and looks a lot like Mr. N when wet! Happy FitDog Friday!
    Diane and Rocco

2. Mark at DBDT

July 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Great photo of fun on the beach! It is so great that you taught Mr. N not to drink saltwater. I bet that doesn't taste good and would upset Mr. N's stomach. I would be concerned about that if Veruca and I ever made it to the beach.

July 18, 2014 2:08 pm

I love seeing the pictures of Mr. N and Sage playing! This looks like such a fun day! Barley and I have had to seek out the less touristy beaches here, too!

July 20, 2014 1:11 pm

What a fun day! I wish we were closer to the seacoast so the dogs could experience it. I'm not sure many of our beaches even allow dogs though. I think one does during certain hours early in the morning.

5. Nailah Bone

July 22, 2014 12:42 am

I love having beaches to myself, I'm not a fan of crowds 🙂 Also, my first dog would drink himself sick whenever we took him the beach. We'd scold him but he'd started doing it again when we weren't looking. He'd throw it all up later, thankfully not in the car. XD

6. PawsandPedals

July 23, 2014 11:17 am

I think most people that own a dog have all experienced the 'saltwater thirst' at some stage. Very scary results. Thankfully we've always managed to rein Scooter in before he attempts to drink his fill 🙂

7. The Daily Pip

January 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Gorgeous shots! This beach looks amazing with such wide open spaces and dog friendly. We live near Lake Michigan and do have some beaches close by – but none of them are this wide open. Plus, Ruby dislikes water of any kind. LOL

January 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Mr. N looks like he had a thoroughly good time. I wish there was a dog friendly beach near me. I think they would have a lot of fun.

9. sadieandco

July 13, 2018 10:50 am

Looks like a fun day! As long as the dogs aren’t accidentally run over. YIKES, that’s scary – wise decision to go the other way. Also good plan to have normal water available to them. We travel to Florida each year and Henry tried the salty water. Thankfully, he wasn’t a fan.

10. Cathy Armato

July 13, 2018 10:59 am

Sounds like you’ve discovered a gem of dog friendly beach! What a lucky find, we have so few out here and the ones that allow dogs are usually really crummy. I’m glad they had fun together!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

11. Enviro_Dog

July 15, 2018 8:17 pm

When I think of Portland, I think cool and rainy, not hot! I’m glad you found a place for the dogs at the beach. Most of the beaches and even the shoreline of Lake Michigan in my county is off limits for dogs.