Visiting Cannon Beach

I had been wanting to visit the Oregon Coast again for quite some time as did Sage’s human so we hopped in the car with the dogs and drove down to Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock.
We fortified ourselves with seafood at Ecola Seafoods before our hike. Even the dogs got some salmon scraps.
Oregon has liberal leash laws along most of the coastal beaches so we ran into a lot of other dogs happily wandering the beach. Mr. N participated in a sniffing train.
The dogs had to be leashed around Haystack Rock to protect the plants and animals living in the tide pools.
We were there at low tide so we got to see the various sea creatures and plants that called the rock home.
Like the mussels that live on this rock.
Sage was obsessed with chasing after this flock of birds.
And Mr. N chased after Sage.

We took a quick break. Sage took a little nap in the sand but Mr. N doesn’t believe in relaxing outdoors for long.

After leaving Haystack Rock, we continued walking along the beach and soaked in the scenery.

Sage plunged in and out of the water.

We came to a point where we couldn’t walk any further because the tide was in.
Mr. N explored the edge of the rocks because he is a little daredevil like that. I called him away because I was worried he might fall.
And so we could make the dogs take a group photo.

We saw more sea plants both in little pools on the rocks

as well as on the cliffs.

We ended up walking ten miles. Towards the end, all of us except for Mr. N were sore and tired. Sage walked right behind us but Mr. N would run a little way ahead and glance back to see if we were still following. And then run back to us and run ahead again.

With all the running back and forth, Mr. N probably did twice what we did. And he still wanted to keep going! Because he is a crazy little terrier. Sage over-exhausted herself earlier while chasing birds and clearly wanted to go home.
Mr. N got outvoted and we piled into the car to head home. And for the dogs to get baths.

Comments

comments

May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

What a great hike, so pretty and such great things to explore and chase. What a pair of lucky dogs. Thanks for sharing it with us on the Hop!

2. Bailey

May 16, 2014 2:21 pm

What a beautiful trip. Our beaches are not so dog friendly. That being said our Shelties are not so fond of water either.

3. Jackie Bouchard

May 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Oh! Thank you for the vicarious visit to Oregon! Love the beaches there and could really use some of their cool weather right now! Beautiful photos!! Mr. N is quite the endurance athlete! Love the sniff train photo – and that last sandy shot – whooo-doy, that's a lot of sand to wash off!

4. Hawkeye BrownDog

May 17, 2014 12:31 am

Hi Y'all!

Oh I wish I lived near a friend I could do stuff with like that! It would be such fun!!! Fabulous photos that just transported my Human and myself! Thanks for sharing!

Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

5. PawsandPedals

May 17, 2014 12:33 am

Would love to explore the Oregon Coastline with a dog. Looks beautiful. And love all those rockpools. Even though we live on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef we don't get rockpools like that along our coastline. Miss that. Looks like they had a wonderful weekend. Great story for FitDog Friday

May 17, 2014 7:35 pm

What an awesome time! Mr. N sounds like the energizer bunny! I bet everyone slept well that night. I love the photo of Mr N chasing Sage down the beach!

7. sagechronicles

May 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Haha..I'd forgotten Sage had managed to 'sand' herself. Good thing she doesn't mind going in the surf and getting a lot of it off. AND, you got a photo of the birds that drove her nuts! Fun trip!

8. Talent Hounds

November 14, 2014 10:38 pm

What a fantastic hike and beautiful pics. So jealous. I love the beach and I bet Kilo would have such a good time there (although he is still a bolter so not sure he could go off leash yet) Have a great weekend

9. Chelle

October 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Baths indeed! My Kitsune LOVES the beach and I always joke that he loves it so much he brings half of it home with him in his fur. Cannon beach looks beatiful! Isn’t it funny how the little dogs always suprise everyone with how much energy they have? Mine are like that too – they run circles around most of their much bigger dog friends. I always love to see other owners who take their little dogs on adventures! Mr. N is adorable.

October 29, 2017 1:10 pm

What a wonderful adventure you all had! I really miss being near an ocean, so I loved looking at your photos. Mr. N is such a little ball of energy (and cuteness!)

11. sara lafountain

October 30, 2017 3:15 am

I think my dog would love to visit this beautiful beach. THe photo of the sniffing train is absolutely hilarious! Thank you for sharing this perfect spot to take our dogs.