My Favorite Dog Training Tools

Welcome to the fifth Positive Pet Training Hop that I’m co-hosting along with Cascadian Nomads and Dachshund Nola. This month’s theme is favorite dog training tools so I’m sharing some of my favorites.

Clicker:

Starmark Clicker: I’ve tried three or four different types of clickers and this one is my favorite. It fits comfortably in my hand and is sturdily built. It’s a little on the loud side which I prefer but it may be too much for sound sensitive dogs. Also clicker training reduces the time spent learning tricks considerably for Mr. N.

Dog clicker

Books

Control Unleashed: Discovering the “Look at That” game made a huge difference with Mr. N’s leash reactivity. Basically how it works is you teach them to look at something they don’t like/fear (dogs, skateboards, men with beards etc.) and reward them for looking calmly at it.

Control Unleashed Book

101 Dog Tricks: This is the book I usually recommend to people who want to teach their dog tricks. The directions are clear with step by step explanations (and photos!) and suggestions to try if your dog is confused. Some of the advanced tricks are prop-heavy and it’s geared more towards bigger dogs. But with 101 dog tricks, you can find tricks that will work for your dog.

101 Dog Tricks Book

Leash

Long Lead: I like having a long lead to train for recall. Mr. N’s recall is pretty good but he still has moments where he’s like I must say hi to this person and darts off. So most of the time I let him drag the long lead around. It’s a safety net. We currently have a cotton one but I really want a biothane one because the nylon one gets wet and dirty and I have to wash it frequently.
Long dog lead

What are your favorite dog training tools? Please share. Next month’s theme is “favorite trick.”

*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you buy something after clicking the affiliate links on this site, your item will not cost more but the pennies will go towards Mr. N’s treat allowance and upkeep of this site.

Comments

comments

May 5, 2014 10:23 pm

Great tips and tools, I'll have to bookmark this. Say, when do you announce the topic for your monthly Hop? I'll try to join next month.

2. Nola

May 6, 2014 3:17 am

Love that clicker! I actually don't loose mine; I have it on a wrist band and hang it on the collar rack when I'm not using it. I don't take it out of the house/yard though. I use my voice for public training.
    DM

3. Christine Caplan

October 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Oh there are so many awesome tools in this post! I've been looking for a new long lead so that one looks great. We also play the Look at ME game so a variation of this one which also works well for Sherm. AND what is this jerky you found, must try it the next time I see you!

4. Luna Lupus

October 20, 2016 2:01 am

Positive training FTW! <3 I use most of these things and am very happy with them! But I don't have that book and will definitely look into it! Sounds amazing!

5. Talent Hounds

March 15, 2017 7:19 pm

We love 101 Tricks and the long leash (although now illegal in parks here). I have that clicker but never use it as I am too uncoordinated. Will have to get that Control Unleashed book.

6. Chelle

May 25, 2018 5:56 am

Well I guess we can’t argue with your selections, since we have all those items except for the 2nd book you listed! I’d probably just add a bag of really high quality treats! I make my own by dehydrating meat because one of my dogs is super picky and won’t even look at treats unless they are extra yummy.

7. omshantipups

May 25, 2018 8:07 am

Our favorite dog training tool is …bacon! It was the only way to Rico’s heart as a stray puppy and is still his favorite motivation for training. We tried clickers, but I never could get the hang of it with 2 young dogs at once. Only one pup would behave at a time, making it a headache for me to figure out when to click. Luckily they figured things out well! I’m going to have to check out that Control Unleashed book, since Rico is still a bit reactive!

8. Cathy Armato

May 27, 2018 1:09 pm

I guess my favorite training tools would be high value treats and a long leash for distance training. I never heard of the Look At That command, that sounds very useful.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

May 27, 2018 2:10 pm

That book looks very interesting. My dogs only know a few tricks, and I know they could learn more, so this could help us a lot.

10. Jana Rade

May 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Ah, yes, I start almost everything by acquiring books! 🙂 Clickers are awesome too even though I usually don’t have enough hands for everything when I use one.

11. spencerthegoldendoodle

May 28, 2018 11:32 am

Wonderful post! My humans need to get one of those long leads to work on recall with River. Definitely something we are working on this summer! 🙂

12. Dorothy "FiveSibesMom"

May 28, 2018 7:07 pm

I have that clicker! Great post. Training my Huskies my favorite tools are enrolling them in puppy kindergarten, high-value treats, crate training, and positive reinforcement. I actually just wrote an article for 4Knines on raising three puppies (littermates) and training tips x 3! I, too, think that book looks pretty (p)awesome.