Why Would You Eat That?


Who wants to guess what Foster Pup Onyxx ate this time? We patched up the hole in the baseboard with Elmer’s wood filler and when I came home, the filler was gone and a few shavings on the floor. I’m 99% sure it was Onyxx and that he ate it. Mr. N has never destroyed anything before and he doesn’t care for non-meat items. The only “bad” thing he ate was chicken bones on the street that he gulped down before I could stop him.

So I spent an hour on the phone calling our vet (who said they had no experience with wood filler and referred us to the ASPCA poison control hotline), the emergency vet (who also directed us to the hotline), the rescue (because the hotline costs $65 and I have to have medical expenses pre-approved), and the poison hotline for Elmer’s.

Elmer’s was very helpful and asked me a series of questions about the amount, dog size and breed etc. They also have a vet on staff. They said it was not toxic and if he was sick, he would be showing signs of lethargy and not wanting to eat. Which has never been a problem for Onyxx. The other thing to watch out for is a possible obstruction.

So he’s going back to a crate every time we leave. We crate him when he is by himself but when Mr. N is with him, he was fine. I don’t know what triggered it but we would like our place intact!

Although we may not have to do that for much longer. I was told today that someone is interested in Onyxx and she wants to set up a meet soon. She has a Chihuahua too. Please send good vibes!

What has your dog eaten and survived unscathed?

The culprit.




9 Responses

  1. Stephen Pelletier

    December 6, 2013 1:35 pm

    I wonder if Onyxx used ketchup to help with the flavor profile?

    We will have to look up the calorie content of wood filler and let you know how far Onyxx needs to walk to burn that off!


  2. Peggy Frezon

    December 6, 2013 3:53 pm

    Oh dear, I hope Onyxx doesn't have any ill effects! Kelly once shredded an empty Diet Coke can…shredded it…and didn't get a cut. Our dalmatian once ate a giant gift sized Hershey's kiss and got very sick, but survived thankfully. And Brooks ate a corn cob and got an obstruction and needed surgery…$3000 later, he was fine.

  3. To Dog With Love

    December 6, 2013 4:14 pm

    Oh no! Glad everything seems to be fine so far. Rocco picks up everything in his mouth. Luckily our last Chicago visit resulted in only one call to poison control (Rocco found an open tube of some kind of my mom's medication). The last Chicago visit resulted in an emergency room visit after he ingested something (I still don't know if it was something in the park or something at my mom's place. This time, I kept him on a leash attached to me and crated him when I couldn't watch him. Of course, the 10 seconds when I had him off leash was when he found the open tube of medication…. one of the hazards of holiday visits. Sounds like a good blog post topic.

  4. Talent Hounds

    December 6, 2013 10:41 pm

    Ah yes. My lab Cookie would chew filler, drywall and wood if left free, even with Isabelle, alone in the basement. No ill effects except to our walls. Hope Onyxx is fine. Happy Fit Dog Friday and have a great weekend

  5. Janet Keefe

    December 8, 2013 10:25 pm

    That little guy is certainly giving you a run for your money! I think it's nice that Elmer's was helpful though, and that they have a hotline. Our golden retriever Moses used to eat whole rolls of toilet paper, cardboard and all. I mean, it's not toxic, but that's a lot of paper! All bathroom doors had to be closed when we left the house, even as he got older, because he would also steal and eat towels. He never had any ill effects from anything though, thank goodness.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

  6. Three Chatty Cats

    June 16, 2017 11:55 am

    Oh gosh, Onyxx is just adorable. Glad to know that he’s okay after that scare. Sounds like Elmers was very helpful. Our dog likes to eat doo doo. Ugh! So we have to keep our eyes out during walks. Or, people could start picking up after their dogs. 🙂

  7. Beth Patterson

    June 17, 2017 8:33 am

    My dogs only eat food, but Theo has gotten into grapes and chocolate (on different occasions.) My sister’s Pug ate anything including part of a towel. She needed surgery for that one.

  8. The Daily Pip

    June 18, 2017 5:36 am

    I’m glad it didn’t make Onyxx sick AND that’s great that someone is interested in meeting him! Ruby doesn’t eat non-food items, but she will pretty much eat any food item!


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.