Monday Mischief #12 – Destruction and Mayhem

I took Mr. N with me to work  Thursday because I wanted to take him to the field to run afterwards. Onyxx had to stay home because the rescue doesn’t want him off-leash. We’ve done some recall work but it’s not anywhere near reliable yet.
After letting Mr. N run around and some errands, I came home to discover a pile of brown stuff on the floor. At first I thought Onyx threw up and I was concerned. I looked closer and he had chewed the baseboard as well as inflicted some damage on the door. How he managed to do that with that tiny mouth of his astounds me. His teeth are like toothpicks. They’re so small!

For the first two weeks, Onyxx stayed in the crate while we were gone as well as at night. One night he pitched a total fit and squeaked the entire night. He basically sounds like a very high-pitched squeaky toy. I talked to the rescue and they said that because he was older, housebroken and non-destructive(!), he could be out of the crate.

This was the first time he was home alone (normally Mr. N is with him) and I guess he freaked out. The next day, Mr. N stayed home with him and everything was fine.

Any suggestions for fixing the baseboard? What has your dog destroyed?

Comments

comments

1. Hawkeye BrownDog

November 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Y'all!

My Human said that once my older, now over the rainbow, Flatcoat brother, ate through the metal door on their camper when they stopped at a new campsite and left him alone while they shopped for fresh supplies. He too was a none destructive older dog. Oh yes, he escaped out the door and they found him wandering around the campground when they returned.

Y'all come by now!
    Hawk aka BrownDog

P.S. you didn't really think I'd tell you about anything I did, did you? BOL!!!

November 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Wow…plaster and paint i guess for the baseboard. As for Onyxx, well don't leave him alone? None of our dogs was too destructive, but I remember a similar incident years ago when we had just rescued Tino – he slept in the downstairs hallway. One night we had to take Sally to the emergency vet and left Tino alone. He did not like it – there wasn't too much to tear up, but he left claw marks on the wall he tried to scramble over to get upstairs.

3. jen

November 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Oh boy! Now that is some mischief! Sherman once chewed the bottom of a chair when he was puppy, but as far as I know neither of them have ever chewed a baseboard.

4. Flea

November 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Holy crap! Our first dog used to do that to window sills and door frames. Sand it down as smooth as you can, then use putty – you know, they stuff for drywall repair? Let that dry, then sand it, too, till it looks the way you want. Then paint.

5. DinaDog

November 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Dina is fairly good at being alone. Occasionally come to find a shoe dragged out of place but it isn't chewed. Shoes were a fave during g puppy hood though.

Dina Mom

6. snoopy@snoopysdogblog

November 12, 2013 3:18 am

Oh wow, he sure was busy!! He must have been exhausted by the time he finished that DIY project! 🙂 Poor guy, he must really love having Mr N around 🙂

I think the worst thing I've destroyed is the blinds, but that wasn't my fault cos I was just trying to protect the house from the noisy gardeners across the street! Oh and I did have a few accidents with the screen, those flimsy things – that's getting replaced this week, so I've gotta be more careful now apparently! 🙂

Good luck with the repair

Wags to all,

Your pal Snoopy 🙂

7. Kari

November 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Our two shepherds destroyed the frames and baseboards around FOUR doors while we were gone just a few hours. This was in July and we haven't fixed it yet. I told my Doggy Daddy that's what I want for Christmas. In our case, I think a beeping low-battery warning on a key fob set them off. Beeping scares Mia.

8. Greyhounds CAN Sit

November 13, 2013 8:07 am

The joys of foster dogs! I've had quite a bit of damage done with a few of mine, none to the house unless you consider peeing on my relatively new carpet which thankfully doesn't show the stains. But it also makes it harder to find where they've gone!! Oh, there are scratches on paintwork that I'll touch up sometime in the future too. I'm going to stop thinking about it now before I depress myself and refuse to foster any more!! I hope Onyx doesn't do any more damage and you can fix your baseboard cheaply and easily.

November 16, 2013 7:16 pm

When our dogs were puppies, their favorite thing to chew on was wood. Conveniently (not), the room we kept them in had pine walls. There was a lot of chewed up edges, and eventually we had to have our carpenter replace it. We also had furniture legs with chew marks on them. Now we're thinking about getting a puppy again….are we crazy? 🙂

10. weliveinaflat

November 25, 2013 6:42 am

While it sounds harsh, I have learnt not to take anything the shelter tells us about Donna at face value. Not that we don't trust the shelter, the dog is essentially trying to adopt to a new environment very different from the shelter, so certain things the shelter said Donna doesn't do, Donna did anyway. I just try to take it as all part of her adjustment, even though it is very upsetting to come home to see destruction in the house! *my heart goes to you* So we are always careful to prepare for all eventualities, as much as we are able to or have the heart/energy to 😛 Haha!!

And Donna isn't half as destructive as Onyxx is!! I hope Onyxx didn't damage her mouth, gums, teeth etc from the chewing!

And sorry about the baseboard and the floor. I feel your pain.

November 25, 2013 10:30 am

Well he's only destructive when he is left alone (without Mr. N). Normally, we can trust him in the house. Not around food though.

His mouth seems fine. He tears through food like crazy. We haven't gotten around to fixing the baseboard yet.