Monday Mischief #11 – Four Seasons

The beautiful Indian summer is fading and the days are starting to get colder and gloomier so I thought I’d do a post about walking in different seasons.

Winter challenges: Snow, Cold

This photo is from when we went to visit family in the Midwest. We hardly ever get “real” snow here. It was the first time Mr. N experienced snow and he did quite well. The only problem was the snowballs that would get stuck on his paws and legs. This year, I’m prepared with a set of boots and wax for his paws.

Our usual winter problem is keeping him from being wet and cold which is the most miserable combination. I still haven’t found the perfect coat yet. So we layer. He wears a fleece under a rain coat. I kind of want to get him a hat. Even though the rest of him is mostly covered, his head still gets wet.

Spring Challenges: Rain

Spring isn’t too bad except by that time we’re all thoroughly sick of Portland weather and just want to see the sun. We had a pretty mild spring this year though with some really warm days early on.

Summer challenges: Heat, Carrying extra water around, Other dog walkers, Foxtails
Mr. N is a Pacific Northwest dog which means he has no tolerance for weather extremes and especially heat. He wilts around 80+ degrees and gives up walking after ten blocks or so. He plops down on the grass and refuses to budge (well he would if I made him but it seems mean). At which point, I pick him up and carry him home. This method is not really recommended for dogs over twenty pounds or so.
This year, he has a cooling vest (pictured in spring photo, we had a couple of really hot days early this year) which gives him super heat defying powers. I took him to the park on a hot day with the vest on and he was literally running circles around the other dogs who were panting in the shade.
As for the extra water, I try not to carry more than what will fit in my (small) purse. Half my purse is usually devoted to dog stuff (treats, clicker, bags, citronella spray) anyway, I don’t have room for more! What I usually end up doing is carrying a collapsible dog bowl and asking cafes/stores for some water.
The fair weather dog walkers all come crawling out once the sun starts shining. I don’t know what they do with their dogs the other 300 days of the year. We never see them when it rains. It gets annoying though bumping into dogs on every corner as Mr. N is leash reactive.
Foxtails are a type of grass with little spikes that can work themselves into animals’ bodies. They’re everywhere during the summer and Mr. N had a limp for a few days as one worked itself into his foot.
Fall: Getting used to shorter days, Rain
It’s starting to get to the point where after-work walks are going to be in the dark. I have a somewhat flexible schedule but we’re still looking at walking in the dark three nights a week at least.
As for the rain, I have two rain coats and Hunter boots. Mr. N owns four rain coats. Onyxx has his own coat now and I found another one in storage that will most likely fit him that he can borrow. We’re as ready as we’re going to be.

Comments

comments

1. Dog Adventures

November 4, 2013 10:22 am

I love this! Travel through four seasons in photos! Interesting to hear about the wax and boots for snow. We don't get snow anywhere except the mountains here in Australia so great to hear how you deal with it day to day. Thanks for sharing! – Jen, Dog Adventures

November 4, 2013 1:48 pm

Love the winter shot – we live in SoCal, so we never see snow either – I haven't seen it in years. Good post though because you do have to make certain accommodations for the weather and the daylight, so thanks for sharing.

3. Snoopy@snoopysdogblog

November 4, 2013 3:04 pm

Oh my, that's quite a collection, do you guys have a special doggie closet? 🙂 I have some boots for the rain, but I refuse to wear them! I'm interested to see you in a hat, let's hope it's not a pink one, maybe a cool baseball cap? 🙂

Have fun,

Your pal Snoopy 🙂

4. GizmoGeodog

November 4, 2013 3:21 pm

Our weather is fairly constant…generally warm with rain showers, rather than full days of rain, so our biggest challenge is the heat, and carrying sufficient water…we have burrs too and combing them out after a woods hike is always a good time 😉 One suggestion, something I just read about today, called Water Seal Spray…might help you out http://kolchakpuggle.com/2013/11/rainy-day-dogs-cope-9-months-rain.html Great post and thanks for joining the hop!

5. Linda Bliss

November 4, 2013 4:48 pm

Roooo what a pawsome blog post – my human always wonders where all the 'other dogs' go when its raining? We go out come rain or shine, and I've made my human a lil rucksack with all my accessories – water, ball & first aid kit *waggy tail*

Woofs,
    Alfie

November 4, 2013 11:24 pm

I love the changing seasons, and we get it all here in New England! I have gotten so much better about getting out in the winter than I used to be, and the summer also. The challenge is constantly having to adjust my schedule as the seasons change. Early morning in the summer, then I can go a little later in Spring and Fall, and then usually not until late morning or early afternoon in the winter. You have some great ideas for cooling too…we have a cool vest also for my older beagle who hates the heat the most. I am going to look into boots and wax for my golden retriever in the winter….she also gets those snowballs really bad…all the way up her legs too! Thanks for the idea!

7. Mahogany BoingyDog Gamble

November 4, 2013 11:56 pm

I love this post – how great to share adventures and challenges in each season. We're most familiar with foxtails – did a post on it this year. I can't believe Mr. N had one in his foot but I'm glad it seems to worked itself out. They're certainly dangerous little buggers. Great post, great photos and thank you so much for joining the hop!

8. 2browndawgs

November 5, 2013 12:49 am

Those foxtails are a pain. We have to watch out for them too. Once we see them we have to wait for the first frost to knock them down. We really only walk our dogs in fall/winter. Spring and summer they are at the park training. 🙂

9. Kaitlin Jenkins

November 5, 2013 3:23 pm

Sounds like you're prepared! We are feeling as prepared as we can be, considering this is our first year here in Portland and we're experiencing all the seasons as we go. Coming from the Midwest, we at least have jackets. However, I got one at the PDX Sat market last weekend that was my absolute fave so far. It's made of fleece, but has been working great for Scooter so far, and dries out quickly once we make it indoors. It's been keeping him dry & leaf free which = a happy me 🙂

10. coffeedog

November 6, 2013 8:19 am

great post and i love the pictures! i don't know how bailey would handle snow. if it's not at least 80 degrees outside, she's freezing.
    i was in portland 3 months ago and i loved it there, but then again it was august. BOL
    wags, bailey unleashed

11. PawsandPedals

November 6, 2013 1:43 pm

Looks like you've got it sorted for all the seasons. We don't really have that problem here. It's either dry & pleasant temperatures or wet & hot hot hot. We just go out all the same!! Thanks for joining the Walk your Dog blogHop