I’m a real dog!

Mr. N would like to clear up this misconception about him not being a “real dog.” He is a real dog. As much as he looks like a stuffed toy, he isn’t one!

Real dogs play chase with other dogs in the snow.

Real dogs do crazy, crazy things like going into the river in the middle of a snowstorm to chase ducks.

Real dogs refuse to let snow bring them down.

Real dogs play for two and a half hours in the snow and still don’t want to go home.

And real dogs (like real men!) cuddle.

*Addressed partly to the Boston Terrier owner in the park who told his dog that a “grandma dog” was chasing him and said Mr. N wasn’t a real dog. Yes, my dog is wearing three layers but he’s not FAT like your dog. He doesn’t have that blubber to keep him warm. And he can outrun your dog and breathe better than your dog can too! And you have a Boston Terrier! It’s not like they’re macho dogs either.
*And partly to the people who thought I was “abusing” Mr. N by making him walk in the snow with snow all over him.

Comments

comments

1. jen

February 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Of course Mr. N is a real dog, but I know what you are saying…we get the same thing with Sherman and Leroy. That's not a dog…it's a horse…….or a bear……or a teddy bear!

Love that picture of Mr. N in all the snow!

2. Susan Willett

February 10, 2014 9:08 pm

First of all. Ducks. Ya gotta chase 'em. It's in the doggy rule book, page 37, I think. And 2nd, OMD, I completely understand about those sticky snowballs that grow on a dog's fur. Two of my dogs get them; I clean 'em off a little and off they run, to gather more. It's like a wearing a badge that says, "I played hard in the snow!" You show 'em, Mr. N!

–Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats.

February 11, 2014 1:52 am

Everywhere! We also had an encounter with a pit bull/stupid people. We're walking down the sidewalk, the pit bull is in our blind spot due to a fence. He suddenly lunges at Mr. N's face and the owner barely pulls him back on his chain lead. Mr. N is throwing a fit and I don't blame him one bit. That dog was inches away from him. I pick him up and cross the street with him still barking. A couple walks by and the guy says, "What a violent little dog!" Yes, clearly my dog is the problem. Assholes.

3. weliveinaflat

February 11, 2014 1:10 am

Gasp! Donna is not a real dog!! There is no snow here to run in and no ducks to chase and well, Donna sort of doesn't mind going home when the sun gets too hot… and woe-betide somebody tries to cuddle Donna on their lap, Donna will wriggle and claw your eyes out!! Boo-hoo, Donna is not a real dog!

😛

February 11, 2014 1:43 am

It was mildly embarrassing. He planted himself in the middle of the sidewalk and refused to budge when I was like, "let's go home." People were walking by and I felt the need to justify myself and say, "he doesn't want to go home yet!" Because I felt they were thinking poor little dog out in the cold and so tired he doesn't want to walk and his owner is trying to drag him.

• weliveinaflat

February 12, 2014 11:14 am

It passes and nobody will remember. I have this vague memory of dragging Donna who was lying on her side on the floor of the underpass because she Will Not Walk Anymore! And of course a man walking past started laughing at me.

4. Jane

May 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I’m in awe of Mr N! I think he is definitely all dog, being cute to boot! Keep on doing what you love Mr N and pay no attention to the doubters. Hugs and smooches to you!

5. Carol Bryant

May 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Sometimes in stores, we are told our dog looks like a stuffed animal or a teddy bear, so we get what you are saying. One time a lady tried to pick Dex up in the cart – she thought he was a stuffed dog. LOL

May 15, 2017 10:30 am

People are so rude sometimes. I never know if they are trying to be funny, or are really that dense, but either way it can be obnoxious. We had a Bullmastiff and a Yorkie when I was growing up, both were real dogs!